Sorry to jump in, but this might help.

In the past, I have had problems with the 'kill' command on Windows 7,
and I stopped using 'kill' on Windows over 4 years ago.

This problem with 'kill' was independent of Ruby. I found that 'kill'
did not (always/sometimes) work from the bash/cygwin command line. No
error. It just didn't work. I figured it was a just a windows thing.

I use the Windows Task Manager on Windows 7 to terminate processes
instead. It always works.

I only mention this because the problem raised may be caused by
underlying software libraries, and not Ruby.