Issue #6121 has been updated by usa (Usaku NAKAMURA).

Assignee changed from usa (Usaku NAKAMURA) to nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada)

Bug #6121: [[Ruby 1.9:]] Etc.sysconfdir hides sysconfdir on windows

* Author: mpapis (Michal Papis)
* Assignee: nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada)
* Target version: next minor
* ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3p125 (2012-02-16 revision 34643) [x86_64-linux]
* Backport: 2.3: UNKNOWN, 2.4: UNKNOWN
While checking on this issue https://gist.github.com/1981223 I found out that Etc.sysconfdir is inconsistently behaving between Linux and Windows.

This issue is related to rubygems also: https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/pull/291

On linux you can change sysconfdir with:
--sysconfdir
--prefix
and the calculated path will be available for rubygems and via Etc.sysconfdir

But on Windows users have no option to force a sysconfdir, they will always use default location (~ C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data).

Also this is not consistent to the documentation header for this function.

Is this intended behavior ?

I could see few occasions where it should be supported to allow switching to system location even --prefix / --sysconfdir was used, but this should be rather configurable not a forced setting.

Even if this is not being implemented/fixed could I get a statement if it is good for rubygems to follow Etc.sysconfdir behavior or it should rather using RbConfig::CONFIG['sysconfdir'] ?

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/