------art_124065_2332813.1153504220420

Jumping in from a JRuby perspective:

There are two points of interest here.

First, JRuby supports MVM currently, allowing you to run multiple virtual
Ruby processes within a single JVM. This would be much like sandboxing,
except the multiple runtimes are completely independent. We also have hooks
in Kernel#system to launch a new runtime in the same process if attempting
to execute a .rb file. This is all transparent to the user.

Second, RCR328 details a potential mechanism for launching a Ruby script
either out-of-process (spawned) or as an in-process MVM. The general idea is
that there should be a way to ask the runtime to launch script X such that
it runs completely independent of the current runtime (blocking, waiting
notwithstanding). This could easily extend to sandboxing...where
Kernel#ruby("xyz.rb") could launch the xyz script in the same process but
sandboxed.

With _why's sandboxing extension, JRuby's existing MVM support, and YARV's
future MVM support, it would seem we're all working toward similar goals.

--
Charles Oliver Nutter @ headius.blogspot.com
JRuby Developer @ www.jruby.org

------art_124065_2332813.1153504220420--