Issue #14033 has been updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler).

I +1 agree with Stefan for symmetry. :)

However had, I may be biased since I discussed in favour of the
Array-methods .prepend() and .append().

But I suppose the reasoning is very similar. I think that both class
String and class Array could share the same method .prepend and
.append here, from a functional point of view. The ruby user may
want to put something on the "beginning" of the array - and the
ruby user may put something on the "end" of the array. Same for
a string (if we assume that the entity of a string are
characters).

The .prepend() method may be more useful for Strings; for append()-like
operations, I personally  always prefer <<. I do not know why, I just
love <<.

I think the major point I agree with it is that it, to me, appears
to make sense from an english language point of view. A short
"action-method" name - prepend this, append that. It would make
sense in my opinion to have .append for strings too, but I may be
biased so perhaps others can comment.

Feature #14033: Alias String#<< as String#append