Hi --

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 nobu.nokada / softhome.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:16:55 +0900,
> dblack / candle.superlink.net wrote:
> > Would it be possible to have method-style return behavior iff the
> > arguments are parenthesized?
> >
> >   class A
> >     def thing=(x)
> >       "dummy return value"
> >     end
> >   end
> >
> >   a = A.new
> >   a.thing = 100       # 100
> >   a.thing=(100)       # "dummy return value"
>
> Interesting, but how will you distinguish it from assignment,
> absence of whitespace among 'thing', '=' and '('?

Something like that... or maybe just by the presence of the () ?  I
was thinking of something in the same category as the "interpreted as
method call" situation.  (Not to actually issue warnings -- just a
somewhat similar kind of problem, I think.)

David

--
David Alan Black
home: dblack / candle.superlink.net