Issue #13981 has been reported by kernigh (George Koehler).

Feature #13981: in configure, detect mandoc and set MANTYPE=doc
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/13981

* Author: kernigh (George Koehler)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
My OpenBSD machine uses `mandoc` to format manuals. Ruby's configure guesses MANTYPE=doc or MANTYPE=man after looking for `nroff` or `awf`, but doesn't know `mandoc`. I attach a patch to teach configure.ac about mandoc. This patch changes the guess for my machine from MANTYPE=man to MANTYPE=doc; manuals like ri(1) look better when MANTYPE=doc.

I change the code to use AC_PATH_PROGS_FEATURE_CHECK. My intent is that if we find one of [nroff awf mandoc], but it can't do -mdoc, then we check the other commands for -mdoc. The old code would only check the first found command for -mdoc.

Because I no longer use AC_PATH_PROGS, the configure script no longer sets NROFF=$ac_path_NROFF and no longer does AC_SUBST(NROFF). Therefore, we can't use `@NROFF@` in Makefile.in or `RbConfig.expand('$(NROFF)')` in Ruby scripts. I believe that Ruby doesn't use NROFF in that way, so I don't need to set NROFF in configure.

ruby-mandoc.diff (778 Bytes)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/