We looked at this issue at a developer meeting today.

The OP's intension is clear.  We can describe how it works, but that seems to be different from how it _should_ work.  Matz was there at the discussion so he understands the situation.  I'm sure he's going to have some decision.

Feature #12533: Refinements: allow modules inclusion, in which the module can call internal methods which it defines.

* Author: chucke (Tiago Cardoso)
* Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
* Target version:
Right now this isn't possible:

~~~ruby
module Extensions
  def vegetables ; potatoe ; end
  def potatoe ; "potatoe" ; end
end

module Refinary
  refine String do
  # this doesn't work
  include Extensions
  # this would work...
  # def vegetables ; potatoe ; end
  # def potatoe ; "potatoe" ; end

using Refinary

puts "tomatoe".vegetables

#=> in <main>': undefined method 'vegetables' for "tomatoe":String
~~~

Wrongly reported as a bug [here](https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/12514).

According to Shugo Maeda, this was expected behaviour. I argued that this is the way most monkey-patches work, and if Refinements can't cover the use case of inserting a custom DSL which references itself in the classes it refines, it can't fully replace monkey-patches, which I read was the main reason Refinements have been added to the language.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/