------art_9_18374004.1153353663791

My workplace recently installed Microsoft's ISA server, which proxies all
internet traffic. Normally, this is no problem, but it is set up to only
accept NTLM/Negotiate authentication. net/http (and thus open-uri) are only
set up for Basic authentication. Having a bunch of utility scripts that
scrape the internet for me, I decided to fix the problem. All of the
solutions I found reverese engineered the NTLM protocol and, given a
username and password, could authenticate with the server. However, *none*
of them would authenticate as the current user. I am loath to put my
username and especially password into configuration files, so I decided to
create my own solution.

Two weeks later, I've learned more about Win32 API integration than I ever
wanted to know, but I did manage to create a module which serves my
purposes. I published this module as the rubysspi gem on rubyforge  and
included a redefinition of Net::HTTP#request which can use my
NTLM/Negotatiate authentication solution.

I'm wondering if there is interest from the core team on a patch which
includes this capability in the ruby distribution. Personally, though it may
not be useful to a large number of people, it will really make anyone in the
future who has to deal with this problem much happier.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or feedback?

Justin

------art_9_18374004.1153353663791--