Issue #13851 has been updated by chucke (Tiago Cardoso).

I see, now I understood what you meant. My approach was more to have a fixed-size buffer, read into it until full or socket is waiting, and then pass data to the parser. Your approach might be less resource-intensive though, thx for the heads-up.

Bug #13851: getting "can't modify string; temporarily locked" on non-frozen instances

* Author: chucke (Tiago Cardoso)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: 2.3.4
I'm doing some nonblocking IO, and using a local string for buffering to avoid allocations. Roughly the following

```ruby
class A

  def initialize
    @buffer = String.new("", encoding: Encoding::BINARY)
  end

  def read(io)
     io.read_nonblock(16_384, @buffer, exception: false)
     # do stuff...
     @buffer.clear
  end

```

It all goes smoothly, mostly... until I start getting arbitrary error when calling `#read_nonblock`.  Here's an example backtrace:

```
DEBUG: can't modify string; temporarily locked- - - [30/Aug/2017:13:15:09 +0300] "GET / 1.0" 200 - 0.0000
DEBUG: <internal:prelude>:76:in `__read_nonblock'
DEBUG: <internal:prelude>:76:in `read_nonblock'
DEBUG: /Users/user/Projects/project:NN in `read``
```

I can't unfortunately reproduce this in a deterministic way. I can only say that the `read` routine is called in multiple threads (different io's instances of that class). The errors come seldom, however.

I'm running ruby 2.3.4, and the frozen string literal is activated for the file where the class is defined. I first assumed that it was the buffer, but due to its initialization, it should be marken as not-frozen.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/