Issue #13851 has been updated by chucke (Tiago Cardoso).

Again, false alarm... The problem was that I wasn't checking the return value of `IO#read_nonblock(nread, buffer, exception: false)`, thereby not checking if nil and terminating early (nil equals EOF). This was affecting the throughput significantly in my case.

Thx for the support!

Bug #13851: getting "can't modify string; temporarily locked" on non-frozen instances

* Author: chucke (Tiago Cardoso)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: 2.3.4
I'm doing some nonblocking IO, and using a local string for buffering to avoid allocations. Roughly the following

```ruby
class A

  def initialize
    @buffer = String.new("", encoding: Encoding::BINARY)
  end

  def read(io)
     io.read_nonblock(16_384, @buffer, exception: false)
     # do stuff...
     @buffer.clear
  end

```

It all goes smoothly, mostly... until I start getting arbitrary error when calling `#read_nonblock`.  Here's an example backtrace:

```
DEBUG: can't modify string; temporarily locked- - - [30/Aug/2017:13:15:09 +0300] "GET / 1.0" 200 - 0.0000
DEBUG: <internal:prelude>:76:in `__read_nonblock'
DEBUG: <internal:prelude>:76:in `read_nonblock'
DEBUG: /Users/user/Projects/project:NN in `read``
```

I can't unfortunately reproduce this in a deterministic way. I can only say that the `read` routine is called in multiple threads (different io's instances of that class). The errors come seldom, however.

I'm running ruby 2.3.4, and the frozen string literal is activated for the file where the class is defined. I first assumed that it was the buffer, but due to its initialization, it should be marken as not-frozen.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/