Bug #13794: Infinite loop of sched_yield

* Author: catphish (Charlie Smurthwaite)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: ruby 2.3.4p301 (2017-03-30 revision 58214) [x86_64-linux]
I have been encountering an issue with processes hanging in an infinite loop of calling sched_yield(). The looping code can be found at https://github.com/ruby/ruby/blob/v2_3_4/thread_pthread.c#L1663

while (ATOMIC_CAS(timer_thread_pipe.writing, (rb_atomic_t)0, 0)) {
  native_thread_yield();
}

It is my belief that by some mechanism I have not been able to identify, timer_thread_pipe.writing is incremented but it never decremented, causing this loop to run infinitely.

I am not able to create a reproducible test case, however this issue occurs regularly in my production application. I have attached backtraces and thread lists from 2 processes exhibiting this behaviour. gdb confirms that timer_thread_pipe.writing = 1 in these processes.

I believe one possibility of the cause is that rb_thread_wakeup_timer_thread() or rb_thread_wakeup_timer_thread_low() is called, and before it returns, another thread calls fork(), leaving the value of timer_thread_pipe.writing incremented, but leaving behind the thread that would normally decrement it.

If this is correct, one solution would be to reset timer_thread_pipe.writing to 0 in native_reset_timer_thread() immediately after a fork.

Other examples of similar bugs being reported:
https://github.com/resque/resque/issues/578
https://github.com/zk-ruby/zk/issues/50

backtrace_1.txt (14 KB)
backtrace_2.txt (10.9 KB)