Issue #13846 has been updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans).

I've confirmed this also happens with the current version of OpenBSD and ruby 2.4.1.  I'll have to write a C version to see if this is a problem with OpenBSD's thread library.  If not, it's probably an issue with ruby.  Hopefully I'll have time to work on that tonight.

Bug #13846: Openbsd possible memory leak when using Thread

* Author: parhs (Coding Gorilla)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: 2.3.4
On openBSD 5.9/6.1 running this code causes RSS memory to increase without limit. This does not happen in ubuntu or other linux.

~~~ ruby
loop do
  thr = Thread.new { puts "thread test" }
  thr.join
  GC.start
end

~~~
This is related to other things too, like when calling Open3.* , virtually everything that is using threads...
I have attached a screenshot with RSS memory plot I did.

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 11.11.42 AM.png (51.7 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/