Dir.children(dir) behaving as Dir.entries(dir) - ['.', '..'] would be nice.
I have wished many times Dir would have such a method, and the ./.. are almost never useful.

Feature #13789: Dir - methods

* Author: opti (Andreas Opti)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
If having (new) Dir.entries, Dir.chidren, I would also add:
Dir.entries (includes all),
Dir.files Dir.dirs Dir.symlinks Dir.pipes (Dir.something_more?)

Dir.file?(filename); Dir.symlink[s]?(*symlinks), etc  # give one or more names
To be discussed if more names are useful, perhaps using Dir.file_s_, Dir.pipe_s_
=> return count of given files, that are of that type.

Also (a new) Dir.cd
should return nil (no exception), if cd isn't sucessful, else the new path.

thanks
Opti

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/