Hi,

In message "Re: class of $1, $2 in 1.8.0"
    on 03/02/08, dblack / candle.superlink.net <dblack / candle.superlink.net> writes:

|To bring us back on track: what we're discussing is not whether or how
|to override methods in subclasses, but the relative merits of the two
|behaviors of Regexp#match.  Either behavior can be accomodated; I
|simply want to know the history of why the new one was chosen.

The behavior has been altered due to the request that subrange
operation should return an instance of the receiver's class.
Detail was buried in the list log, I have to look for.

Some operations creates string out of strings (and array from
arrays).

  * What class should they belong, if the receiver's class
    is not String?

  * Should their class be consistently String?  Or the receiver's
    class?  Or should class be varied operation to operation?

  * what are pros and cons of the decisions?

I've heard the demerit of the change from David, so I'm going to
search the log for opposite opinion.

							matz.