Bug #13549: MinGW / Windows encoding - Two issues

* Author: MSP-Greg (Greg L)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: ruby 2.5.0dev (2017-05-08 trunk 58610) [x64-mingw32]
## Issue #1

The documentation for [Encoding.default_internal=](https://msp-greg.github.io/ruby_trunk/Core/Encoding.html#default_external=-class_method) states:

"The locale encoding (\_\_ENCODING\_\_), not default_internal, is used as the encoding of created strings."

Below is code and the console output for a MinGW build.  Whether a variable is assigned to a string, or a string directly, it appears that both are encoded UTF-8, regardless of the locale encoding.

So, something is amiss.  Is it --

1. The documentation mistaken
2. The behavior is specific to *nix builds
3. The MinGW build is behaving incorrectly

```ruby
txt = 'ABCDEF_'
puts  "filesystem   #{Encoding.find('filesystem')}" \
    "\nlocale       #{Encoding.find('locale')}" \
    "\nexternal     #{Encoding.default_external}" \
    "\ninternal     #{Encoding.default_internal}" \
    "\ntxt          #{txt.encoding.to_s}" \
    "\n'ABCDEF_' #{'ABCDEF_'.encoding.to_s}"
```

#### Console out with default encoding

```
filesystem   Windows-1252
locale       IBM437
external     IBM437
internal
txt          UTF-8
'ABCDEF_' UTF-8
```

#### Console out with locale set to 1252 with chcp

```
filesystem   Windows-1252
locale       Windows-1252
external     Windows-1252
internal
txt          UTF-8
'ABCDEF_' UTF-8
```

## Issue #2

In the issue [Set Encoding.default_external to UTF-8 on Windows #13488](https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/13488), Lars Kanis proposed changing Ruby default encodings on Windows to UTF-8.  Discussion showed that, at present, this would an issue for many users.

In that thread, Nobu posted console output that showed `default_external` matching `filesystem`.

```
C:\Users\nobu\work\ruby\trunk\x64-mswin32_140>.\bin\ruby -e "p Encoding.default_external, Encoding.find('filesystem')"
#<Encoding:Windows-31J>
#<Encoding:Windows-31J>
```

In recent MinGW builds, I've had 8 failures and 1 error.  This weekend I spent a little time patching around three failures, two of which involved encoding.  The patches are dependent on the cause/fix  for Issue #1, but also seem to work best when `locale` and `default_external` encodings are set equal to `filesystem`.

As noted above, my Windows system (standard American English Win7) has `filesystem` encoding of Windows-1252, with `locale` and `default_external` are IBM437.  Why, I don't know.

Given that Nobu showed `filesystem` equal to `default_external`, would it be possible to change 'Windows' ruby so that, by default, `locale` and `default_external` are set equal to `filesystem`?

Not being a c type, I cannot create a patch/PR, etc.  Lastly, moving this post between my code editor and 'Visual Studio Code' had some encoding issues.  Or, yes, Windows does still have encoding issues...

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/