Issue #13681 has been updated by rhenium (Kazuki Yamaguchi).

rinzler (Colton Jenkins) wrote:
> Ah ok, do you know what will happen to openssl::digest then given it uses the same? Curious if that plans to be refactored upon 1.1.x I could do the same with this. If not then this doesn't make much sense.

See ext/openssl/ossl_digest.c -- it doesn't use the low level API like
SHA1_Update() at all and uses the EVP API consistently.

> It is beginning to sound like this shouldn't be used and decoupling digest from openssl is a better way forward?
> I'll probably continue to use this patch locally given our customers are desiring FIPS and rewriting all gems is a very large undertaking, but curious of your thoughts?

OK, I've just learnt about FIPS 140. So what is important for you is
that the implementation of those algorithms is FIPS-certified (i.e.,
OpenSSL); I didn't think of that case. Although I'm pretty sure it
wasn't originally for that purpose that ext/digest prefers to use
OpenSSL but purely for the performance. Refactoring ext/digest to use
the EVP API seems the best direction, then.

> I think I'll move forward with adding in the above recommendations and place a condition for OPENSSL_VERSION < 1.1.

No such a condition would be needed, you shouldn't have to extract the md_data
field from an EVP_MD_CTX.

Feature #13681: Ruby digest init fails in FIPS mode when built against OpenSSL ~> 1.0.1