Bug #13196: Improve keyword argument errors when non-keyword arguments given

* Author: olivierlacan (Olivier Lacan)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v:
Given the following method definition:

```ruby
def explode(code:)
  puts "Boom!"
end
```

If a Ruby user doesn't provide any arguments when calling the `explode` method, the following helpful feedback is given:

```ruby
explode
ArgumentError: missing keyword: code
```

But when a Ruby user mistakenly provides a regular argument, the exception message is obtuse and unhelpful:

```ruby
explode "1234"
ArgumentError: wrong number of arguments (given 1, expected 0)
```

This does not provide information to properly recover from the error. Worse, it's incorrect. It is not true that the method expected 0 arguments. The method expected 1 keyword argument.

Instead, Ruby should respond something like:

```ruby
explode "1234"
ArgumentError: missing keyword: code, given "1234" which is not a keyword argument.
```

One could argue that this situation would call for a different error class, perhaps a `KeywordArgumentError` that would inherit from `ArgumentError`, but that would extend the scope of this feature request a bit too far in my mind.

missing_kwargs.diff (1.2 KB)
missing_kwargs.diff (1.23 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/