Issue #13681 has been updated by rinzler (Colton Jenkins).

rhenium (Kazuki Yamaguchi) wrote:

> > > This won't compile with OpenSSL 1.1.x since `EVP_MD_CTX` was made opaque.
> >
> > Hasn't it always been opaque? They just moved the struct def from evp.h -> evp_locl.h, but the typedef is still in ossl_typ.h
>
> crypto/evp/evp_locl.h is not a public header file. -> operator can't be
> used against md_ctx.
>

> > > Also I suspect this approach breaks if an external OpenSSL engine
> > > replaces the default implementation for the algorithm. I think we have
> > > to completely rewrite to use the EVP API only.
> >
> > Not sure I follow. Passing NULL for engine skips it? But using EVP api would be ideal.
>
> Passing NULL as the third argument tells OpenSSL to use the 'default
> implementation', which can be changed at runtime by an
> ENGINE_set_default*() function call by another C extension (such as
> openssl).

I think I'll move forward with adding in the above recommendations and place a condition for OPENSSL_VERSION < 1.1.
Given FOM 3.0 is still up in the air (https://www.safelogic.com/openssl-1-1-update/) this would only be needed with 1.0.x anyhow.
I'll update the patch.

Feature #13681: Ruby digest init fails in FIPS mode when built against OpenSSL ~> 1.0.1