Issue #13700 has been updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler).

Reminds me a bit of what hanmac wrote elsewhere; I can't find it right now and forgot it mostly already but I think he also mentioned some unexpected behaviour when ... subclassing I think? Or some custom class that he wrote...

Bug #13700: Enumerable#sum may not work for Ranges subclasses due to optimization

* Author: sos4nt (Stefan Schler)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: ruby 2.4.1p111 (2017-03-22 revision 58053) [x86_64-darwin15]
`Enumerable#sum` is optimized for integer ranges. Unfortunately, this can break subclasses:

```ruby
class StepTwoRange < Range
  def each(&block)
    step(2, &block)

r = StepTwoRange.new(0, 10)
r.to_a     #=> [0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10]

r.to_a.sum #=> 30
r.sum      #=> 55
```

The optimization should therefore only be triggered for instances of `Range` and not for instances of subclasses. (or more specifically, not for subclasses overriding `each`)

If this behavior is intentional, it should at least be documented.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/