Issue #11101 has been updated by olivierlacan (Olivier Lacan).

normalperson (Eric Wong) wrote:
>  Did you try the nakayoshi_fork gem as ko1 suggested?

Sorry for replying so late. I think I missed the notification when you originally replied.
I believe nakayoshi_fork did help a bit to bring response times near to their pre 2.2
averages.

>  Performance is unlikely to be twice as slow unless you're using enough
>  memory to hit swap...

To be fair, it wasn't. I think we had a 30 ms average that jumped to 60 at first and
leveled of at 50 ms with nakayoshi_fork. I don't believe we were close to hitting swap, and
I think I was seeing this on multiple different servers at the time.

How big are your processes on 2.1 and 2.2?

I'm not sure what you're asking there.

>  Is this on 64-bit?
Yes.

>  What else can you tell us about your setup?
>  (malloc used, GC tunings, etc).

We're not using any GC tunings and running with Passenger Enterprise on Debian 8. No jemalloc if that's what you're wondering.

`passenger_max_pool_size: 16`
`max_instances: 12`

Interestingly, upgrading to 2.3.4 brought us back to pre-2.2 response time averages of about 35 ms, and the averages are much more stable as well.

Bug #11101: Forking is killing my memory when running GC