jeremy.phelps / instacart.com wrote:
> I've got a patch ready for this, but I have no idea how to
> submit it. There are serious contradictions in this page:
>
> https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/projects/ruby/wiki/HowToContribute
>
> It says that the changes should be against "the trunk of
> Ruby", and that "only Ruby 2.4 may accept new features." But
> the trunk on GitHub is Ruby 2.5.

Make the change against trunk, any mentions of specific version
numbers is probably outdated.  Maybe you have permissions to edit
that page?  (I can't stand <form> inputs in web browsers and
reply to redmine via email)

> It says that the patch should be a unified diff, but it also
> says different changes should not be mixed in a single commit.
> But diff files don't have commits; only pull requests and
> whole repos do. But it says that you only accept PRs for "tiny
> fixes", and only if they don't require discussion.

The output of "git format-patch" is a superset of unified diff,
you should use that to generate diffs if using git.  "git am"
can be used to apply that output and preserve authorship info
and the commit message.

You can also publish your work to any publically accessible git
repository tell us about how to pull it, here.  The
"git request-pull" command can generate the message text for you.