I don't think there is any guarantee for the length of a hash value in Ruby. It's just assumed it's long enough to not lead to overly many collisions.

Also, if the calculation of the original value (before throwing away bits) is really good (i.e. all bits of the input affect all bits of the output,...), then when there is a need to shorten a hash value, which bits are being thrown away shouldn't make any difference. (sorry, quite a few ifs)

Bug #13660: rb_str_hash_m discards bits from the hash

* Author: Eregon (Benoit Daloze)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: ruby 2.3.3p222 (2016-11-21 revision 56859) [x64-mingw32]
I believe rb_str_hash_m might discard some bits from the hash value in some situations.

It computes the hash as a st_index_t, which is either a unsigned long or a unsigned long long.
But the st_index_t value is converted to a VALUE with:
#define ST2FIX(h) LONG2FIX((long)(h))

Note that for instance on x64-mingw32, SIZEOF_LONG is 4, but SIZEOF_LONG_LONG and SIZEOF_VOIDP are 8 bytes.
So that truncates half the bits of the hash on such a platform if my understanding is correct.

Even is SIZEOF_LONG is 8, LONG2FIX loses the MSB I think, given that not all long can fit the Fixnum range on MRI (should it be LONG2NUM?).
Also, I am not sure if it is intended to cast from a unsigned value to a signed value.

I tried many things while debugging the rb_str_hash spec on ruby/spec and eventually gave up.
This computation looks wrong to me in MRI.

For info, here is my debug code:
https://github.com/eregon/rubyspec/blob/d62189450c0a56bfcd379e5e505ad097892d2bc7/optional/capi/string_spec.rb#L501-L518
https://github.com/eregon/rubyspec/blob/d62189450c0a56bfcd379e5e505ad097892d2bc7/optional/capi/ext/string_spec.c#L361-L381
and the build result on AppVeyor: