samuel / oriontransfer.org wrote:
> Thanks for that idea.
>
> If that's the case, when appending to the write buffer:
>
> ~~~
> write_buffer = String.new.b
> unicode_string = "\u1234".force_encoding("UTF-8")
> write_buffer << unicode_string
> write_buffer.encoding # Changed from ASCII-8BIT to Encoding:UTF-8
> ~~~
>
> The only way I can think to fix this is to run +force_encoding+ on the write buffer after every append but this seems hugely inefficient.
>
> Ideas?

String#force_encoding is done in-place so it should not be
that slow, the String#<< would be the slow part since it
involves at least one memcpy (worst case is realloc + 2 memcpy)

But I'm not sure why you would want to be setting data to
UTF-8; I guess you got it from some 3rd-party library?

Maybe String#b! could be shorter alias for
force_encoding(Encoding::UTF_8); but yeah, exposing writev via
[Feature #9323] is probably the best option, anyways.

Fwiw, I'm also not convinced String#<< behavior about changing
write_buffer to Encoding::UTF-8 in your above example is good
behavior on Ruby's part...  But I don't know much about human
language encodings, I am just a *nix plumber where a byte is a
byte.