MSP-Greg (Greg L) wrote:
> I checked on MinGW, and there is not an issue with `File.rename` with `src` and `dest` being on different drives.  Where I got that from, I don't know...

It's the semantics of the rename(2) syscall on Linux, which throws EXDEV if oldpath and newpath are not on the same mounted filesystem.

And indeed, on Linux:

    > File.write "foo","abc"
    > File.rename "foo", "/tmp/bla"
    Errno::EXDEV: Invalid cross-device link @ rb_file_s_rename - (foo, /tmp/bla)

So we would need some special handling to move files across filesystems on non-Windows, or use FileUtils.mv

> > MSpec's #cp should use "rb"/"wb" modes obviously.
> Would it work with that?
>
> Yes and haven't tried.  Seems odd to copy a file when a rename will do...

Indeed, moving sounds nicer in principle.
The reason I like the copy is to help debugging, the .so is still in tmpdir used for compilation along other files.
But it's a small thing, looking for the moved file is fine as well.

Feature #13570: Using mkmf for ruby/spec C API specs