naruse (Yui NARUSE) wrote:
> I object this.
>
> You are counting only full build.

Actually the numbers above are for building just after a pull.
And if any file is touched, it takes longer than install-nodoc.

> But on developing, you need to compare with null build.
>
> On such case almost all libraries are already build and the build time is much shorter.
>
> Therefore when I am developing ext/ libraries, adding install-nodoc doubles the build-install time.

How much is it? 6s instead of 3s?
Probably this depends a fair amount on disk speed.
I have a small bcache SSD. Times are better on a true SSD.
Maybe we should install to /tmp :D

Here are my numbers for a null build:

$ time make -j 8 all
make -j 8 all  3.24s user 0.53s system 364% cpu 1.034 total
$ time make -j 8 all install-nodoc
make -j 8 all install-nodoc  3.56s user 0.58s system 262% cpu 1.580 total

While it is more, I cannot really feel the difference.
Changing anything in my editor takes much longer than that.
Running the tests for the relevant extension also takes a while.

Feature #13620: Simplifying MRI's build system: always install