Issue #13589 has been updated by duerst (Martin Dürst).

shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe) wrote:
> domaio (Dorian M) wrote:
> > Looking at error.c in general, it seems like a rather intentional
>
> Yes. I bekieve this is how quotation marks in English works.  I don't like the idea to change our error messages only because wild Markdown parsers don't interface.

Well, to be precise, English quotations use  and ȡġ in high-quality typography. The use of `' is a fallback convention on some systems. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark#Typewriters_and_early_computers. The number of characters in ASCII was very limited, so the "`" character had to cover both as the grave accent (used after a base character and a backspace character, or before a backspace and the base character) and as a backquote. On typewriters, the "`" was usually not available, and so simple '' was used.

Bug #13589: unmatched opening backtick / closing quote in NoMethodError: undefined method `name' for {}:Hash