nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> ```sh
> $ ./x86_64-linux/bin/ruby -e 'f = open(File.expand_path("/tmp"), File::RDWR|File::TMPFILE); p open(f).read'
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> 	2: from -e:1:in `<main>'
> 	1: from -e:1:in `open'
> -e:1:in `to_path': unnamed temporary file at /tmp (IOError)
> ```

Why are you ignoring #13576, after I repeatedly mentioned in this thread?

Feature #13568: File#path for O_TMPFILE fds are unmeaning

* Author: sorah (Sorah Fukumori)
* Assignee: sorah (Sorah Fukumori)
* Target version:
By using File::TMPFILE (O_TMPFILE) allows us to create a file without directory entries.

While open(2) with O_TMPFILE don't create a file without directory entries, it still requires a directory name to determine a file system to create a file.

Current Ruby implementation holds such directory names in fptr->pathv and retrievable via File#path.
But such paths are useless and may raise errors. For example, some code [1] checks File#path availability then when available, it attempts to use the path to open a file in different fd, finally raises Errno::EISDIR.

This patch changes File#path (fptr->pathv) not to return String if a fd is opened with O_TMPFILE.

[1]: https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-ruby/blob/v2.9.17/aws-sdk-core/lib/aws-sdk-core/checksums.rb#L15

tmpfile-path.patch (1.96 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/