Bug #13312: String#casecmp raises TypeError instead of returning nil

* Author: stomar (Marcus Stollsteimer)
* Assignee: stomar (Marcus Stollsteimer)
* Target version:
* ruby -v: r57964
String#casecmp and String#casecmp? behave differently from other comparison methods: for incomparable values they raise a TypeError, while Symbol#{casecmp,casecmp?} and the #<=> methods (also for other classes) return `nil`:

``` ruby
"abc" <=> 1       # => nil
"abc".casecmp 1   # TypeError: no implicit conversion of Integer into String
"abc".casecmp? 1  # TypeError: no implicit conversion of Integer into String

:abc <=> 1        # => nil
:abc.casecmp 1    # => nil
:abc.casecmp? 1   # => nil

1  <=> Time.now   # => nil
[] <=> :foo       # => nil
```

This is surprising, since String#casecmp is essentially a case-insensitive version of String#<=>, which seems to imply that they should behave in a similar way. Also, the different behavior for String and Symbol might be an indication that this is a bug and not intentional.

patch.diff (2.5 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/