shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe) wrote:
> At the meeting we discussed the use case of `File#path` and we thought there are 2 kinds:
>
> - Pass it to `open()`
> - Pass it to `printf()` or variant

A correction; The method which `open` calls is `to_path`, not `path`.
These are different.

> Do you think `nil` is better?  I think nonexistent path is far more descriptive.

The write mode problem is a matter.
It would silently (and wrongly) success to write.

I think that `File#to_path` should raise if the path dost not exist, but untouch `File#path`.

Feature #13568: File#path for O_TMPFILE fds are unmeaning