Issue #13581 has been updated by americodls (Americo Duarte).

The **`->`** was just a suggestion... Could be another symbol or combination of symbols like **`Math->>sqrt`**, **`Math=>>sqrt`**, etc
I just think could have another way to write it than not a method calling with a symbol as argument, something more concise and expressive.

Hanmac (Hans Mackowiak) wrote:
> that might collide with -> {} a lambda syntax
> so i think the chances are low that ruby gets something like that.
>
> so ruby probably does think its "Math(->sqrt)" and thats a Syntax error.

Feature #13581: Syntax sugar for method reference

* Author: americodls (Americo Duarte)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
Some another programming languages (even Java, in version 8) has a cool way to refer a method as a reference.

I wrote some examples here: https://gist.github.com/americodls/20981b2864d166eee8d231904303f24b

I miss this thing in ruby.

I would thinking if is possible some like this:

~~~
roots = [1, 4, 9].map &Math.method(:sqrt)
~~~

Could be like this:

~~~
roots = [1, 4, 9].map Math->method