Issue #13570 has been reported by Eregon (Benoit Daloze).

Feature #13570: Using mkmf for ruby/spec C API specs
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/13570

* Author: Eregon (Benoit Daloze)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
Hello all,

I am thinking to use mkmf to compile the C API specs.

https://github.com/ruby/ruby/blob/trunk/spec/rubyspec/optional/capi/spec_helper.rb
is getting pretty complex and hard to maintain.

I have a few questions:
* Does mkmf works well on Windows?
* What is a good way to compile a single .c file with mkmf to a given library file in another directory?

I tried this but I am not sure it's correct:

~~~ ruby
def compile_extension(name)
  objdir = object_path
  ext = "#{name}_spec"
  lib = "#{objdir}/#{ext}.#{RbConfig::CONFIG['DLEXT']}"

  require 'mkmf' # TODO: probably best to use a subprocess to avoid polluting the namespace
  Dir.chdir(objdir) do
    $srcs = ["#{extension_path}/#{ext}.c"]
    $objs = ["#{extension_path}/#{ext}.o"] # should probably be in objdir but that does not seem to work
    create_makefile(ext)
    system "make"
  end

  lib
end
~~~

Alternatively, we can copy the needed files to a temporary directory, build there and copy the shared library back.
It's a bit more work but not a big deal either.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/