Issue #13559 has been updated by dunrix (Damon Unrix).

Eregon (Benoit Daloze) wrote:
> In an ideal world, I think #itself with a block doing what #tap does today and #tap doing what #yield_self does would make sense.
> But that cannot work with compatibility.

This, exactly.
Just another reminder how important is think decisions through, before acting..

nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> > `url.itself { |u| open(u).read } # return "itself -> fetch from the network"`
> It does not seem to return something other than url "itself".

Yes, result of a block can be anything. I wouldn't expect same object when optional block is passed. Like it already does `Object#tap`, unfortunately. It is all about point of view.

Feature #13559: Change implementation of Feature #6721