Issue #9907 has been updated by siimliiser (Siim Liiser).

This issue seems to have resurfaced. The issue is fixed in 2.2, but broken in both 2.3 and 2.4.

Bug #9907: Abbreviated method assignment with private attr_writer/attr_reader does not work.

* Author: jwmittag (Jrg W Mittag)
* Assignee:
* Target version: 2.2.0
* ruby -v: ruby 2.2.0dev (2014-06-05 trunk 46357) [x86_64-darwin13]
* Backport: 2.0.0: REQUIRED, 2.1: DONTNEED
This looks like a hole in the specification:

~~~ruby
private def foo=(*) end
public  def foo; 0  end

self.foo =  42

self.foo += 42
# private method `foo=' called for main:Object (NoMethodError)

private :foo

self.foo += 42
# private method `foo' called for main:Object (NoMethodError)
~~~

There is an exception for `private` writers in the rule for private message sends, but apparently that exception needs to broadened so that it also works in the case of abbreviated assignments. I'm not entirely sure what this rule would be, but I don't think it would break backwards compatibility, since all situations that would work differently with the changed rule would currently raise a `NoMethodError` anyway.

The rule should be something like:

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/