Issue #13302 has been updated by rhenium (Kazuki Yamaguchi).

Status changed from Closed to Open

nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> rhenium (Kazuki Yamaguchi) wrote:
> > This is not informative about what exactly caused the failure. Actually, everything is logged to ext/*/mkmf.log, but people would never find this without googling. Maybe a change to ext/extmk.rb something like this would make it better?
>
> Could you commit it?
> If I commit my patch first, you'll see conflicts.

Thanks for review, committed as r58404.

Feature #13302: Provide a (force) --enable-openssl switch for ruby ./configure (or similar)

* Author: shevegen (Robert A. Heiler)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
I am currently setting up a lot of programs on a fresh installation.

Ruby compiles fine but I am having some problem getting openssl to
work properly. Since it is not trivial for me to find out where
the problem is exactly, I would like to suggest a commandline
switch option such as --enable-openssl that will only compile
ruby if it can also use the openssl bindings.

The ruby that is compiled without openssl is for me not very
useful, largely because I can not use gem publish without
openssl.

If such an option would exist, it is my hope that I could use
it, and then ruby would also tell me why it can not use
openssl.

For the record, I was using the LFS way to install openssl:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/openssl.html

Openssl also compiled fine. I suspect that ruby may get
confused by some files by the host pclinuxos system but
until I have found out where the problem is, I think it
would be nice i ruby would have a corresponding switch
to only compile if openssl can also be used, as otherwise
this ruby variant is not very useful to me and I will waste
time compiling something that I know won't be too useful.

Sometimes going into ext/ can help here but ext/openssl
is also not useful for me right now.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/