We looked at this issue in yesterday's developer meeting.

Kazuki's improved log seems good so please go ahead.

Another possible way proposed there was to mandate openssl installation when configure is run with --with-ext=openssl, i.e. --with-ext (which is rarely used now) to generate Makefile so that make all depends on the given extension library.

Feature #13302: Provide a (force) --enable-openssl switch for ruby ./configure (or similar)

* Author: shevegen (Robert A. Heiler)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
I am currently setting up a lot of programs on a fresh installation.

Ruby compiles fine but I am having some problem getting openssl to
work properly. Since it is not trivial for me to find out where
the problem is exactly, I would like to suggest a commandline
switch option such as --enable-openssl that will only compile
ruby if it can also use the openssl bindings.

The ruby that is compiled without openssl is for me not very
useful, largely because I can not use gem publish without
openssl.

If such an option would exist, it is my hope that I could use
it, and then ruby would also tell me why it can not use
openssl.

For the record, I was using the LFS way to install openssl:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/openssl.html

Openssl also compiled fine. I suspect that ruby may get
confused by some files by the host pclinuxos system but
until I have found out where the problem is, I think it
would be nice i ruby would have a corresponding switch
to only compile if openssl can also be used, as otherwise
this ruby variant is not very useful to me and I will waste
time compiling something that I know won't be too useful.

Sometimes going into ext/ can help here but ext/openssl
is also not useful for me right now.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/