Issue #12886 has been updated by ioquatix (Samuel Williams).

> In other words, in the end, only absolute URIs are actionable. So we need an absolute URI eventually. The way relative resolution is defined, this means that if we have absolute + relative1 + relative2, this is interpreted as (absolute + relative1) + relative2. If we could guarantee that (absolute + relative1) + relative2 == absolute + (relative1 + relative2), then we might implement the "relative + relative" case. But proving this equivalence might turn out to be quite hard.

This is exactly what I was thinking - it should be associative - (a + b) + c should be equivalent to  a + (b + c). The PR I submitted allows for this, but I haven't done any testing, I don't even know where to begin with adding unit tests to Ruby. All I did was relax it so that it's possible to add together two relative URIs.

Feature #12886: URI#merge doesn't handle paths correctly