Issue #9999 has been updated by burlesona (Andrew Burleson).

RDL is interesting, I wonder what the runtime overhead is like?

Another source of inspiration could be Facebook's Flow ([[https://flow.org/en/docs/getting-started/]]) for JS. In that case it's build-time type checking, mostly inferred, with optional annotations. While it would be nice to avoid mandatory annotations, and I see Matz saying they won't exist at all, being able to add optional annotations would be nice. /shrug

Feature #9999: Type Annotations (Static Type Checking)

* Author: DAddYE (Davide D'Agostino)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
Hi all,

I know @matz is interested in introducing **type annotations** in ruby. More here: https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/5583

I think it's time for ruby to get this.

Before working on a patch I would like to know:

1. Syntax of methods signatures
2. Syntax of variables guards (?)
3. Implementation

For point **1** I was thinking in some like:

~~~ruby
def connect(r -> Stream, c -> Client) ->  Fiber
def connect(Stream r, Client c) -> Fiber # quite sure this will make some reduce problems in the grammar
~~~

Before making a proposal consider: keyword arguments and default value collisions.

Then for point **2** I'm not sure if we want also check assignments but as before a syntax could be:

~~~ruby
r: Client = something # will throw an exception if something is not kind of Client
~~~

Finally, **implementation**. Do we want some in python style and then leave the programmer/library for the implementation **or** (and I'm for this) we want MRI do that, if so how?

Cheers!
DD

p.s. Sorry if this issue was already discussed but I didn't find anything except the link posted.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/