Hi Matthew,

> https://developer.ibm.com/open/2017/03/01/ruby-omr-jit-compiler-whats-next/

I was reading your article, and I would like to say that what you
present there is just fantastic in my point of view.
Why fantastic? Because having IBM embracing Ruby in that way can only
give Ruby a brilliant future.
We have IBM and Oracle and Heroku and Redhat. How many companies more
besides Japan (which also should be better exposed)? It is not just
some developers. This is a powerful message for the world community
and in my opinion Ruby needs to clearly present it to the wider
audience.

This pleases me because I'm totally Ruby biased (for the better and the worst).
(For me Ruby should be used everywhere. Even as a replacement for
javascript. Opal needs more emphasis. I just love it.)

Ever since I heard about Ruby 3x3 in Matz announcement that I clearly
saw it would be a major opportunity for Ruby to stand out from the
crowd. A genius marketing move that well coordinated could have a very
important impact in the coming future regarding the dynamic languages
current competitive ecosystem.

I want to be part of it and have been trying to find a way to do that.
This is the reason I asked Vladimir what help could he be using from me.
I even asked about Ruby 3x3 to Eric regarding my symbols thread which
is not dead.

It is also great that you agree that there is much room for collaboration.
I'm a newbie in terms of compilers and JITs and all that jazz but I'm
willing to dig in and learn as much as possible and contribute the
better I can.

For me it doesn't matter in what project.
What is important for me is a collaborative environment where we can
communicate and learn things step-by-step throughout the way which
seems what you have in your mind to offer.

Very glad you are creating the eclipse community.

You ask there what would be the best way to build that community.
I have a suggestion: Consider doing it by sharing the discussions with
ruby-core like Vladimir is doing.
I was totally unaware of your current work if it not for this thread
(I thought OMR was still closed code).
Anyone that do care about Ruby development subscribes to ruby-core.

I believe I can help also in terms of organisation.
I have clear ideas on how to improve ruby regarding communication and
documentation.
And I'm very focused on architecture logic speaking about web
development and DevOps but software design as a all.
I'm pretty sure I will learn tones working with you and being part of
this endeavour but I can bring some added value in that regard.

Like Vladimir said Ruby lacks a way for new people to come on board in
an easy way. When I develop code I always pay lots of emphasis to the
files organisation and design patterns being put in place, the tests
and documentation so that it can be always easy to understand the
architecture and reasons some options have been made.

Ruby 3x3 is for me a big opportunity to look at that problem and try
to put some architecture documents in place.

This implies that for me each one of this projects should work in
close form with ruby core developers. Again a reason to have OMR
directly linked to ruby core issue tracker.

You mention as well that the existence of multiple JIT projects and
that competition can only bring good things to Ruby itself.
Couldn't agree more. Important for me is to not let this projects to die.
One of the great things the ruby community has, is that ability to
make each developer feel at home.
Matz was able to build that throughout the time.

Let me hear your thoughts on the matter.
If you are ready to bring me on board I'm ready to step in.

A note on that regard is that all my contribution for now will need to
be out of work hours.
But in the future maybe I can convince my company to sponsorship me.
No promise as I didn't speak with them yet.

Regards,

Daniel

P.S.

(This text is pretty much some scattered thoughts but I will send it
as it is anyway. Have so much things to say that I'm afraid if I start
to better structure the text it will become to big for someone to
read)

P.S.2

Sorry Vladimir for replying to Matthew on your thread. But I'm doing
it to emphasise how much I think we should work together on this
matter. (I could have sent a private email, think it is much better
this way)