On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, mathew wrote:

> Hugh Sasse wrote:
> > Then may I suggest that the name is misleading?  Also, on the web
> > one learns that numeric page names are generated automatically and
> > generally can't be link to.
>
> You have learned two falsehoods. See
> <URL:http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI>

I'll partially concede those.  However that document says:

   A lot of people don't know that servers such as Apache give you a
  lot of control over a flexible relationship between the URI of an
  object and where a file which represents it actually is in a file
  system.

So in practice they do change.  This is experiential learning I'm
talking about, not theory. So people learn that in practice
auto-generated URLs are not constant, even though they should be.

The rest of the doc puts a complete spanner in the works of any naming
suggestions (basically: ontologies and semantics are subject to change,
making it difficult to find things).  I don't know if the Dewey Decimal
system can handle concepts like download pages.

> mathew

        Hugh