Shyouhei Urabe wrote:
> Let me ask a (possibly stupid) question.  Consider this scenario:
>
> 1. create a proc.
> 2. it gets optimized.
> 3. lots of calculations goes on without variable captures.
> 4. obtain a binding from it (via deoptimization).
>
> now, should what be visible from the obtained binding?  Should we re-calculate the optimized-out variables?

I assume you mean a binding via Kernel#binding.
I think that's the general contract of deoptimization: it must not be observable from the user.
So at the deoptimization point, the current computations must be stored in a real frame,
or be recomputed if they are side-effect free and the deoptimization implements that.

If it is a Proc#binding, then it only captures variables defined outside the Proc,
so variables only defined inside the Proc are not visible to that.
With the technique I mentioned, writes to captured variables can
only be optimized out if the surrounding scope is compiled as well.

Feature #12901: Anonymous functions without scope lookup overhead