Benoit Daloze wrote:
> Shyouhei Urabe wrote:
> > I think it's impossible to optimize lambdas without breaking backwards compatibility.
>
> It is possible with deoptimization though.
> An optimizer might assume that a block does not call binding and in case it does, deoptimize.

Let me ask a (possibly stupid) question.  Consider this scenario:

1. create a proc.
2. it gets optimized.
3. lots of calculations goes on without variable captures.
4. obtain a binding from it (via deoptimization).

now, should what be visible from the obtained binding?  Should we re-calculate the optimized-out variables?

Of course it could be anything if we are allowed to introduce incompatibility but...

> Removing the scope lookup overhead for accessing captured variables
> is possible if one considers a whole method containing the lambda for analysis.
> However, it seems much harder to optimize the scope lookup for a lambda capturing a non-optimized scope.
>
> I do not think scope lookup is the only overhead of lambdas though,
> there is a lot of implicitly captured state which needs to be restored for every call
> (but the same optimizations apply when optimizing a method containing the lambda).

I agree with those parts.

Feature #12901: Anonymous functions without scope lookup overhead