Shyouhei Urabe wrote:
> I think it's impossible to optimize lambdas without breaking backwards compatibility.

It is possible with deoptimization though.
An optimizer might assume that a block does not call binding and in case it does, deoptimize.
Removing the scope lookup overhead for accessing captured variables
is possible if one considers a whole method containing the lambda for analysis.
However, it seems much harder to optimize the scope lookup for a lambda capturing a non-optimized scope.

I do not think scope lookup is the only overhead of lambdas though,
there is a lot of implicitly captured state which needs to be restored for every call
(but the same optimizations apply when optimizing a method containing the lambda).

Feature #12901: Anonymous functions without scope lookup overhead