Robert Mosolgo wrote:
> What about checking at the block level? I mean, could we check that:
>
> - All local variable reads come from the block's local table
> - There are no method calls on implicit receiver
>
> So, this could be optimized:
>
> ~~~ ruby
> lambda { |a, b| a + b }
> ~~~

Sorry, no.  You can look at outside scope from within the lambda's binding like this:

```
zsh % rbenv exec irb
irb(main):001:0> a = 1
=> 1
irb(main):002:0> b = lambda {|c, d| c + d }.binding
=> #<Binding:0x007fa672001160>
irb(main):003:0> b.local_variable_set(:a, 2)
=> 2
irb(main):004:0> a
=> 2
irb(main):005:0>
```

The lambda does not use variable `a`.  But still, you can see through the binding.

Feature #12901: Anonymous functions without scope lookup overhead