Hello,

In message "Windows XP SP2 socket issues"
    on Jun.06,2006 00:32:48, <dan.hatfield / gmail.com> wrote:
| That's a bit naive I know. :) Interestingly, it generally appears to work
| but I appear to be blowing up when it tries to close the socket now.

Can you explain it more?
Do you mean that there are some bugs?

| My questions are:
|
| 1) Is there any effort to get this ifs sockets patch into 1.8 currently?
| With 1.9 being an experimental branch and Ruby 2.0 not coming anytime soon,
| I'm thinking this problem will be growing an importance as more people end
| up on XP SP2.
|
| 2) Or should I just continue down the path of recompiling my own binaries?
| And if so, is there anyone out there that knows enough about these ifs
| sockets to help me debug my patch?
|
| 3) Or am I better off trying to get rails to run under 1.9 (that may not be
| a question for this list, I can post in on rails devel)?
|
| 4) Or should I just punt and go for a dual boot with FreeBSD or something?
| :)

Ruby 1.8 is compiled with winsock1, not winsock2.
To maintain the binary compatibility, I didn't scheduled to
backport the patch (which need to use winsock2).

However, in answer to your request, I decide to prepare a
little mechanism in 1.8.
In using a new configure option, users come to be able to
select whether to use winsock2.

I'll commit it later into 1.8, with ifs sockets patch.

Regards,
--
U.Nakamura <usa / garbagecollect.jp>