> I'm concerned about the increasing tendency to unbundle core functionality (`curses`, `tcl/tk`, ...; and possibly soon also `date`).

I also share this concern.

This is one discussion I've been keen to start with the creation of
feature requests but maybe we can make the discussion first without
the feature requests.

Besides the unbundle of core functionality I also believe there are a
set of tools that should be part of every ruby release.

One of them is the debugger. (There are more).
IMHO ruby core should specify a clear API for the ruby debugger and
make it a key functionality of the language.
Any change in the API of the ruby debugger should be dealt as a ruby API change.

Thanks,

Daniel