Hi Rodrigo,

> From your comments I'm guessing you haven't actually read those discussions.
> If this is true, I'd certainly advise you to read the discussion before
> creating a new ticket, as the discussion itself is not outdated from my
> point of view.

From the two requests I've read the following Matz comments:

"Hi,

During early stage of 1.9 development, I tried to make symbols and
strings behave same (at least similar), and it had broken too many
programs. I understand your problem but it's not worth raising huge
compatibility issues.

                        matz.
"

"
Hi,

Two points:

(1) Currently symbols and strings are very different in several
aspect. Making them "compatible" would break backward
compatibility.

(2) "==" and "===" have different roles from PHP. So your logic is
incomplete. I suggest to learn "Ruby Way", before proposing
language changes to Ruby.

So in summary, this proposal is half-baked. Need to be more concrete.

                        matz.
"

There are challenges but maybe we can find a solution that would be
feasible in Ruby 3.

I would like to start a new discussion about this subject because I
deeply believe ruby will be better if we succeed to do so.

As I see it, everyone agrees there is a problem.
We just weren't able to find the best solution to resolve it.
Lets try to do that in Ruby 3.

Thanks,

Daniel