Issue #13220 has been updated by Radovan Smitala.

Shyouhei Urabe wrote:
> Radovan Smitala wrote:
> > It's not my blog post. But when i tried some testing cases they were really wrong and unexpected.
>
> Can you, then, show us your testing cases so that we can look at the "wrong and unexpected" results?

This new information appears on blogpost:

> NOTE: After publication, some readers pointed out that many of the failures I mentioned wouldn't have happened if I would have normalized the unicode test strings. This is true. However strings aren't automatically normalized by Ruby or Rails (in any of the apps I tested). These tests were always meant to illustrate the worst-case and I think they're still useful in that regard.

It looks like, author used some non-standard or normalized strings.

~~~ ruby
[1] pry(main)> "".ord
=> 97
[2] pry(main)> "".unicode_normalized?
=> false
[3] pry(main)> "".unicode_normalize.ord
=> 228
[4] pry(main)> "".ord
=> 228
[5] pry(main)> "".unicode_normalized?
=> true
~~~

Whole issue is just about that Ruby doesn't automatically normalize strings to Unicode.

Bug #13220: Enhance support of Unicode strings manipulation