Issue #2740 has been updated by Naja Melan.

This would still be very useful for people implementing auto loading systems, not just Rails

Feature #2740: Extend const_missing to pass in the nesting

* Author: Yehuda Katz
* Assignee: Yukihiro Matsumoto
* Target version: next minor
=begin
 At the moment, it is impossible for const_missing to differentiate between these cases:

     class Foo::Bar
       Baz
     end

     class Foo
       class Bar
         Baz

 In Rails, we implement a class loading system that loads classes from the file system if they are not found. In the above case, Foo::Baz might be stored in app/models/foo/baz.rb. We would like to be able to use the same Ruby constant lookup logic when looking up classes from the file system.

     class Foo::Bar
       Baz
     end

 Here, we should look in "app/models/foo/bar/baz.rb" and in "app/models/baz.rb" just as Ruby would search for Foo::Bar::Baz and then Object::Baz.

     class Foo
       class Bar
         Baz

 Here, we should look in "app/models/foo/bar/baz.rb", then "app/models/foo/baz.rb", and finally "app/models/baz.rb" just as Ruby would search for Foo::Bar::Baz, then Foo::Baz, and then Object::Baz.

 In order to achieve this, I propose that we extend the const_missing method to take an optional second parameter containing the nesting:

     class Foo
       class Bar
         def self.const_missing(id, nesting)
           id == :Baz
           nesting == [Foo::Bar] # first case
           nesting == [Foo::Bar, Foo] # second case

 This would allow people who wish to do their own custom constant loading (such as Rails) to do so in a way that is consistent with Ruby's own constant lookup. In order to avoid backward-compatibility issues, we can check the arity of the const_missing method, and only pass in the nesting if a second parameter was provided.
=end

const_missing_nesting.diff (621 Bytes)
const_missing_murphy.patch (2.56 KB)

--