sto.mar / web.de wrote:
> @normal (@Anonymous)
>
> Regarding commit messages / further explanations:
>
> I wasn't aware that the complete description would be included
> in the commit message; is there a preferred way on
> bugs.ruby-lang.org for providing a (suggested) commit message
> and additional, more verbose explanations?

Yes, I prefer that, at least.  Having to go online or even go
out-of-band into my mail archives to look for the explanation of
change is often inconvenient.  Explaining in commit message is
is analogous to the inline-cache in YARV to improve locality :)

Anyways, it is expected for git.git (and linux.git) for commit
messages to be complete enough to justify a change.

To the contrary, I dislike GNU ChangeLog entry style used in
Ruby ("make change").  GNU-style describes what changed; but
what changed should already be obvious from reading a diff.
The "why" is not always obvious, and should be explained.

For Ruby, I try to remember to do both (why and what) because
matz liked GNU-style entries, and nobody complained about my
commit messages being too informative :)

If you wish (and it would make my life as patch applyer easier :)
you may use "git format-patch" to generate the patch with
full commit message or use "git request-pull" to format a pull
request pointing to any anonymously-accessible git server.

I will also try to remember to use --add-author-from option
with "git svn" to give you proper credit :x

> (On GitHub there is a natural distinction between the
> commit message and the PR description, but not for Redmine.)

For a single change, I prefer the commit message cover everything.
For multiple changes, an overview of the series along with
"git request-pull" helps summarize the changes.