SASADA Koichi <ko1 / atdot.net> wrote:
> Eric:
>
> I'm not sure about implementation of IO.copy_stream but do you need to
> add this flag for *all* of T_STRING?  We need to care this flag if we
> want to manipulate strings.

This flag is only set for klass==0, now.  It is safe to use
for all klass (at least all tests+rubyspec pass),
but I limited it to klass==0 to avoid triggering CoW.

I don't think using this flag (FL_USER6) imposes new burdens for
anybody.

FL_USER2 was overloaded before this patch for embed vs shared
(non-embed) case.  So overloading FL_USER{3..6} for
embed-vs-non-embed case should be OK, too.  We still have
FL_USER{3..5} available to use with shared strings after this
change.

Maybe some weird 3rd party extension overloads FL_USER{3..6},
too but I'm not sure if we can ever support that.